Monday 6 December 2010

What to do in this weather!

Well we have had another 6" of snow today stopped snowing around 2pm but the road network here has just stopped - I have never seen so much snow!. So what do you do as an exhibitor in this weather. Well I for one am looking back to what happened last year and looking forward to the 2011 growing year( with a large glass of Glenlivet beside me!). I have been fortunate to have won the Scottish Championships the last 3 years with Long Carrots and won the stumps at the same championships in 2007,2008,2009( was unplaced this year but was 2nd in the National Championships at Dundee) so as you can see my main thrust is towards carrots. I also won the Nationals with peas and had various other wins throughout the season. So the first thing I do is always look back and see what I could have done better- were the timings right - were the conditions right - could I do something else. Like anybody else I make mistakes as well so I will take you through these at later postings. So looking forward what will I grow next year. Firstly I will give a list of what veg I am growing and the variety. I also will go through how I grow poms later on as well. So veg and varieties.

Stump Carrot - Sweet Candle( I just cannot see past this. Various new varieties like Abaco may challenge it but I still will go with Sweet Candle)
Long Carrot-New Red Intermediate - my own re-selection
Peas-Show Perfection(my own re-selection -even gave some to Mr Smith!)
Parsnips - Gladiator under cover and Duchess outside(Have tried Pinnacle but don`t really like it)
Potato - Kestrel,Winston,NVS Amour,NVS Sherine,Casablanca,Nadine
French Bean - Prince re-selected plus some from Gareth Cameron
Celery - Evening Star
250gr Onions - Vento
Shallots - Hative de Niort reselection
Onion Sets - Hercules and Centurion
Tomato - Cedrico
Globe Beet - Pablo
Long Beet - Reselected Long Black

So thats my list of varieties for 2011. The main shows for me are the NVS Nationals at Llangollen in late August and the Scottish Championships in the middle of September

No comments:

Post a Comment